Welcome to Our Healing Roots, a blog exploring natural medicine that returns us to the roots of health and wellbeing. Our Healing Roots, LLC, is a private natural healthcare practice and experiential learning center that advocates the safe use of integrated, natural medicine. Many healing ways have gone by the wayside with the advent of conventional medicine. While it is important to receive professional medical advice for serious conditions, there are many things we can do at home to prevent disease and maintain our health. The Latin word for doctor is docere, which means to be a teacher. Our Healing Roots wholehearted embraces the importance of teaching in healthcare, so that people feel empowered about their health and wellbeing. More information about this business can be found at www.ourhealingroots.net.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Great Example of Organoleptics


Recently, I harvested hoarhound from my garden and dried it to make capsules. While I was waiting for it to dry, I used store bought hoarhound for my project.

Look at the vast difference between the capsules made from the store-bought herb compared to what was recently harvested from my garden and dried!

This weekend, I powdered my dried garden hoarhound. It was fluffy, forest green, and had a sweet-green scent with the smallest hint of a bitter undertone. My senses told me that my garden dried hoarhound was far more potent than the dried hoarhound I bought from the store.

The taste, color, texture, and smell of an herb are considered its organoleptic properties. Organoleptics can be used to help identify herbs, as well as to qualitatively measure the quality/potency of an herbal product.

You probably use organoleptics on a regular basis. For example, you might look at the organoleptic properties of the vegetables and fruits you pick out at the store. When you work with herbs, I recommend the same principle. It simply takes practice and paying attention. Look for opportunities to compare the same spice or dried herb from different manufacturers. See if you can pick out the differences and notice what you like best and why. In general, potent preparations will have deeper color and a rich scent. You can do this with herbal capsules, essential oils, tinctures, and many other herbal preparations. Have fun and see what you discover!

2 comments:

  1. I love my homegrown herbs. I just dried more rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano and spearmint. I do have a comfrey plant, but have not made any salves with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How delightful, Kristina! I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying the herbs of your garden. Do you have any patches of plantain? It would be a great addition to a comfrey salve. All the best, Katrina

      Delete