Welcome to Our Healing Roots, a blog exploring natural medicine that returns us to the roots of health and wellbeing. Our Healing Roots, LLC, is a private natural healthcare practice and experiential learning center that advocates the safe use of integrated, natural medicine. Many healing ways have gone by the wayside with the advent of conventional medicine. While it is important to receive professional medical advice for serious conditions, there are many things we can do at home to prevent disease and maintain our health. The Latin word for doctor is docere, which means to be a teacher. Our Healing Roots wholehearted embraces the importance of teaching in healthcare, so that people feel empowered about their health and wellbeing. More information about this business can be found at www.ourhealingroots.net.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Making Hoarhound Capsules



Yesterday, I made hoarhound capsules. Why "hoarhound" instead of "horehound"?  According to Matthew Wood, this plant was named because it has the appearance of a "hoar" frost on its leaves.

Merry Schepers first taught me about using hoarhound capsules for chronic allergies. According to Eclectic literature, hoarhound is specific for a state of dampness/mucus. Fresh or adhesive mucus, it will help get it out. 

I grow a thick patch of hoarhound in the front yard. It is a member of the mint (Lamiaceae) family, so it does have a tendency to take over given a chance. Yesterday, I cut hoarhound from the garden, rinsed it, and placed it in the dehydrator. This will be used to make my next batch of capsules.

Next, I got some empty capsules and filled them with the aerial parts of dried hoarhound. I like to use a chopstick to help pack the capsules full. Then, I put both parts of the capsule together to close it. Merry taught me that I don't have to powder the herbs, and I believe they are really attractive that way. Powdered, I can get more in the capsules however. I use a dedicated coffee grinder to powder the hoarhound. Yesterday, I made my capsules both ways--powdered and unpowdered. You can see the results below. Finally, my capsules were placed in a decorative jar and labeled.



The process can be a bit labor intensive, but I really enjoy making my own herbal capsules. There is also a capsule machine that can make the process faster, but those are getting harder to find.

I do not sell these capsules; they are for personal use only. Do bear in mind that selling homemade herbal medicines requires that you abide by a set of federal regulations.

If you would like the opportunity to make hoarhound capsules with me and other autumn herbal preparations, I will be hosting a class on September 17th from 1-5 p.m. To sign up, you can call or e-mail me at 918-813-1874 or office@ourhealingroots.net.

3 comments:

  1. I find this interesting, as I posted on MJF if anyone has grown this. I do suffer from allergies and wondered what other herbs helped (other than nettle). Where can one buy starter plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions! Thank you for asking...

      Other herbs that immediately come to mind for allergies include (1) Butterbur, (2) plants/foods high in quercetin/vitamin C, (3) Horseradish, particularly for sinus infections, and (4) organic rose for states of lots of heat and inflammation (think rosehips and vitamin C).

      I have also seen great success with homeopathy and allergies, even with the remedies sold at places like Walgreens (drug store).

      Regarding starter plants, I usually buy mine from farmer's markets, local herb festivals, or start them from seed. If these are not options for you, then maybe look at a Canadian company called Richters Herbs (http://www.richters.com/). They can ship plants to some US states.

      Best of luck!

      Delete