Welcome to Our Healing Roots, a blog exploring natural medicine that returns us to the roots of health and wellbeing. Our Healing Roots, LLC, is a private natural healthcare practice and experiential learning center that advocates the safe use of integrated, natural medicine. Many healing ways have gone by the wayside with the advent of conventional medicine. While it is important to receive professional medical advice for serious conditions, there are many things we can do at home to prevent disease and maintain our health. The Latin word for doctor is docere, which means to be a teacher. Our Healing Roots wholehearted embraces the importance of teaching in healthcare, so that people feel empowered about their health and wellbeing. More information about this business can be found at www.ourhealingroots.net.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chamomile Tincture

Frame courtesy of cottagearts.net
 
 
My absolute favorite tincture is a fresh chamomile tincture. Every winter I plant several chamomile seeds in anticipation. My efforts have paid off. I have been picking chamomile blossoms for the past several weeks (shown in the picture).
 
 
A tincture is an alcoholic extract of a plant. I soak my herbs in vodka for at least six weeks. Then, I strain off the plant matter and run the extract through a paper coffee filter. This results in a clear tincture with a very low turbidity.
 
When taking tinctures, I have been taught to dissolve the drops in water. This way, I can actually taste the herbs instead of feeling the burn of alcohol in my throat. The fresh chamomile tincture has a wonderful sweet flavor, just as sweet as the sleep it provides.
 
This Thursday, I will be teaching a class on botanical tinctures from 6-8 p.m. To register or get more information, please call 918-813-1874.


No comments:

Post a Comment