Welcome to Our Healing Roots, a blog exploring natural medicine that returns us to the roots of health and wellbeing. Our Healing Roots, LLC, is a private natural healthcare practice and experiential learning center that advocates the safe use of integrated, natural medicine. Many healing ways have gone by the wayside with the advent of conventional medicine. While it is important to receive professional medical advice for serious conditions, there are many things we can do at home to prevent disease and maintain our health. The Latin word for doctor is docere, which means to be a teacher. Our Healing Roots wholehearted embraces the importance of teaching in healthcare, so that people feel empowered about their health and wellbeing. More information about this business can be found at www.ourhealingroots.net.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Chickweed

 
frame courtesy of cottagearts.net
 
I love spring because of the weeds. While the Sunday ads advertise weed killer/lawn herbicides, I am carefully scanning the ground for unsprayed weeds, hoping to make my next batch of herbal medicine. I've already counted four patches of dandelion in the front yard. Some Shepherds Purse was spotted by an electric pole, but I'll avoid that one, particularly since it's close to a busy street. While preparing my front herb bed Wednesday morning, I made my first spotting of chickweed for the season (as seen above). I was so proud of it that it took a coveted place in our spring planter.
 
Chickweed's scientific name is Stellaria media. I understand that its genus name comes from the fact that the flower is shaped like a star (stella). Chickweed has cooling and mucilaginous qualities. This can be particularly helpful in hot, dry and itchy conditions (think rashes, itchy eyes and arthritis). It can be made into a salve or prepared as a poultice. Chickweed can also be a nice spring tonic for digestion. It's excellent to add to salads, sandwiches, and green smoothies in the spring. It has a mildly sweet and salty flavor, and it is rich in many minerals and B vitamins.
 
So, I wait patiently...sort of. Within the next month, I'll be making some "weed" preparations and sharing my outcomes, so stay tuned.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment